A new translation of the most beautiful tale of French literature
“Novelists should thank Flaubert the way poets thank spring; it all begins with him. Flaubert decisively established what most readers and writers think of as modern realist narration. You can find some of this in Defoe, Austen, or Balzac, but not all of it until Flaubert.”
—James Wood, How Fiction Works
This tale is considered one of the purest pieces of French literature. Flaubert wrote this novella for George Sand, as she was dying. He wanted to please her with this empathic portrait of Felicity, a generous and humble maid who seems doomed to loose all she loves. As with Madame Bovary, Flaubert could have said, “Félicité, c’est moi!” since this sublime story can be read as a metaphor of the artist’s life. This remarkable new translation by Luis de Miranda, novelist, philosopher and publisher, is faithful to the simplicity and poetry of Flaubert’s style.
The purest moment of French literature, according to the critics
- Copies numbered and signed by the translator.
- Haute Culture’s first title and the launch of a new luxury brand.
- A uniquely designed book, hand-made in Sweden with our master binder.
- Luxury materials: silk, precious gold, metal, a genuine parrot feather…
- A new translation of Flaubert’s beautiful novella, by Luis de Miranda.
- Bilingual edition, with English and French text.
- Your purchase will support the donation of free e-books to schools and universities around the world. You will be acknowledged as a Book Angel.
Gustave Flaubert – FELICITY – The Tale of the Simple Heart
bilingual edition – Translated from French by Luis de Miranda
ISBN 978-91-981157-2-7 © Haute Culture Books / Kreell for the English translation
dimensions of the book 12 cm x 18 cm
Hand made for you on demand and sent in its cage